Neuroscience is a scientific discipline that investigates the organization, development, and function of the nervous system, and its relationship to behavior, cognition, and neurological or neuropsychiatric disorders. The minor consists of 5 classes (15 minimum credit hours) designed to give students a strong foundational and broad exposure to the neuroscience area. Students must complete two Core Requirement courses and the remaining three courses are taken from the courses listed in the Elective Requirement section. This course work should be chosen in consultation with a neuroscience academic advisor.
Core Requirement (Take Both Courses, 6 credits)
- Neuroscience 3000 Introduction to Neuroscience
- Psychology 3313 Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience
Elective Requirement (Take 3 Courses, 9 credits)
Important Caveats For Minor Electives
- Students may count only (1) course with a (*) next to it toward the minor. While these courses are not neuroscience courses per se, they can nonetheless provide curriculum enhancement to the minor.
- Only (1) neuroscience related Individual Studies (3193) or Research (4998) experience may count as a class toward the elective requirement. The student must have 3 semester credit hours of the experience to equal one (*) class toward the minor. Pre-approval by a neuroscience advisor is required.
- In some cases, prerequisites for courses may be waived for minors, so students are advised to consult regularly with their neuroscience advisor.
Elective Minor Courses
- Neuroscience 3050 Structure & Function: Nervous System
- Neuroscience 3010 Neurophysiology
- Neuroscience 4100 Basic and Clinical Foundations of Neurological Disease
- Psychology 3305 Drugs and Behavior
- Psychology 3310 Sensation and Perception
- Psychology 3312 Learning, Memory, and Cognition
- Psychology 3513 Intro to Cognitive Neuroscience
- Psychology 4501 Advanced Behavioral Neuroscience
- Psychology 5600 Psychobiology of Learning
- Psychology 5606 High-Level Vision
- Psychology 5613H Biological Psychiatry
- Psychology 4623 Biological Clocks & Behavior
- Psychology 4644 Hormones & Behavior
- Psychology 5898 Seminar in Behavioral Neuroscience
- Psychology 5614 Cognitive Neuroscience
- CSE 5526 Introduction to Neural Networks
- *Biochem 4511 Intro to Biological Chemistry
- *MolGen 4500 General Genetics
- *Philosophy 5800H Ethical Concepts in Health Care, Research, Policy, and Practice
- *Chemistry 2210 Analytical Chemistry I: Quantitative Analysis
- *Research 4998/3191 Pre-Approval By a Neuroscience Advisor is Required
Arts and Sciences minor program guidelines
- The minor program must be approved by an advisor in the Neuroscience Major Program and filed with the College or School Office.
- 5 classes/15 minimum hours
- A maximum of 1 class/3 semester hours
- Permitted, unless specifically disallowed by an individual minor program.
- Not Permitted
- The minor must be in a different subject than the major.
- Courses cannot count on a minor and on a major.
- Minimum C- for a course to be listed on the minor.
- Minimum 2.00 overall GPA is required for the minor.
- Pass/Non-Pass courses cannot count on the minor.
- The minor program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor.
- Once the minor program is filed in the College Office, any changes must be approved by a Neuroscience major advisor.